Sunday 1 December 2013

Saturday 31st Nov - Seat day. And the day I find out if my hopes for the layout will work

I collected some chairs this week from Southampton. Removed from a brand new transit minibus. So they'll be bolted in soon once the floor plan is completely set.

But I wanted to get them in situ so I could see if it was all going to feasibly work.  Getting 5 people in this van without using the kitchen area for sleeping is now our plan.

Passenger seats aside I decided to spend Saturday afternoon seeing if I could do something about the awful drivers seat.
So the passenger seat came out.  I tried my hardest to work out how to get that seat unit to fit the framework from the drivers seat unit but it was never going to happen without some serious cutting and welding.  So I started stripping the covering and the foam from the frame hoping it would then fit onto the drivers frame (cutting my knuckles to shreds in the process as the bottoms of these seats are sharp!).

I then did the same with the drivers seat hoping the passenger seat foam and covering would slip right on. It didn't initially, but a bit of persuasion and I've got a drivers seat again (with way more foam and way less gaffer tape).

A luxury leather job will have to be a future project.

Luckily the new double minibus seat will fit so I plonked it in place and removed a load of bolts and the original seat belt.

That all took way longer than it should!

But all in all it's positive thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment